Stitch a Day

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Back to School

No stitching news today...but here is something else for you to enjoy.
Tuesday, September 7 was back to school day for my children. A GREAT day of rejoicing for me.
I had arranged to get off work at noon so that I could take my 5 year old to school for his first day of kindergarten. I went out to my truck, affectionately named "The Beast" and attempted to start it. I did not panic. This happens frequently and it is usually because the battery cable is loose. So I get out my trusty pliers, which are in the truck so I can roll the drivers side window down, and head to the front of the truck. Adjusting the cable didn't work. So I thought that the battery was dead. Did I leave my lights on??? I couldn't possibley have done that since I get to work when it is still dark out. Hard to miss that. So I went in the building to security and got one of the guards to come out with the battery charger that B of A keeps on hand for just this type of situation. Mike (the guard) gets out there a looks at my battery and says "I don't think a charge is going to help you" and he holds up a broken battery cable. The corrosion on the battery terminal had eaten through the cable. Now I was extremely worried. I had 10 mintutes to get home and get Bran to school. I also was a bit miffed with the DH. I mean, when he drives The Beast he has no problems!
I said a prayer to God, asking him to help me. I remembered that my BIL had fixed this same problem for me about a year ago. So, I asked anyone if they had a knife. Well it's a bank for gosh sakes...no one has a knife. I then went back in the building and grabbed a pair of scissors. Back out to The Beast. I had to pour scalding hot water over the terminal to get rid of the acid and then using those huge pliers got the thing that you attach the cable to (I can't for the life of me remember what it is called) off. Then I had to use those huge pliers to loosen the screws that clamp down the wire. For a minute I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it. So another quick prayer and they came loose. Then I used the scissors to strip the plastic covering off the battery wire, clamped it down and reattached it to the battery. Away I went. Poor Bran was 1/2 hour late for his first day of school. But they were really nice about it.
But that's not all.....Poor little guy! I told his teacher and the office staff that I needed Bran to meet up with his brother Anthony after school. Ant is in 6th grade and I needed him to make sure Bran got on the bus and home safely. Well Ant showed up at home without him, hysterical. He thought that they put Bran on the wrong bus. It turned out that he was in the school office...they had missed each other. Ant was so upset he hopped on his bike and took off to the school to wait with Bran until their Dad picked them up in The Beast. What an eventful first day of school.
Can anyone top that story?

1 Comments:

  • I'm guess you'll still be remembering that day ten years from now! What brave little boys you have. Hope they're enjoying school! Especially your little one...

    By Blogger Isabelle, at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home